Imagine if one of your favorite cocktails could be transformed into a dessert. That was the thinking when Maker’s Mark® partnered with Chef Ann Nolan and KitchenAid® to do just that. Chef Nolan designed a pound cake that delivers on the flavors of an Old Fashioned cocktail, accomplishing this with an array of spices, like clove and cinnamon, and orange zest. But, of course you can’t have an Old Fashioned without Maker’s Mark®. That’s where the bourbon toffee sauce comes in.
What to get
- 2-1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom
- 8 tbsp. butter/1 stick (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- Zest from one orange
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1-1/4 cup of buttermilk
Maker's Mark Toffee Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of light corn syrup
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla bean paste or extract
- 3 tbsp. of Maker’s Mark Bourbon
- Pinch of salt
What to do
- Preheat oven to 350 convection bake. Spray or butter the inside of a Bundt® pan.
- Sift together first 8 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Separately, add butter, sugar and brown sugar to a KitchenAid® Stand Mixer. Using the flat beater, cream together the ingredients for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on medium, add eggs, one at a time, and mix until incorporated. Add orange zest and vanilla.
- Continue to mix the ingredients and alternately add the sifted flour mixture and buttermilk to the creamed sugar and butter to create cake batter. Beat cake batter in mixing bowl for one minute until smooth.
- Pour batter into the greased Bundt® pan and place in preheated oven.
- Bake for about 40–50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from center of cake.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool about 15–20 minutes.
- Invert the Bundt pan upside down onto the serving platter. Cake should release from pan. You have to remove cake from pan while it is still warm. Let the cake cool completely before adding the toffee sauce.
For the Toffee Sauce
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- When butter is melted halfway, stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, sweet and condensed milk and bourbon.
- Cook and stir until sauce is no longer grainy and has thickened and is a light caramel color.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour the Maker’s Mark Bourbon Toffee Sauce over the top of the cooled Bundt cake so the toffee sauce waterfalls down the cake.